Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Are they really a new kid?

By Sari:
Last night when I was at mutual we talked about how we need to pray for a missionary moment. Our beehive president told us a story about a boy at a school whose name was Tim. Tim was not popular. At school he was a loner, an invisible person, no one cared about him. He was not a jock, he was kind of a nerd, he wasn't handsome, and he really didn't mind. He had been alone for so long he didn't know what it was like to have a friend. One day when Tim when to school he saw that there was a new kid. He had a crooked nose and elephant ears. What was startling though was that he was talking to Jenny, the head school cheerleader. He was leaned next to locker talking to her like it was no big deal and that they had known each other forever. The bell then rang and her forgot all about it. That was until lunch though. Tim sat down at his table with no one else and opened his lunch sack and took out his sandwich, when he looked up he saw that the new kid was standing behind Jenny where he was sitting and that she was making room for him.
The new kid shook his head though and walked over to Tim's table, and he asked Tim
"May I sit with you?"
Tim looked around and saw that the new kid was talking to him. He had asked Tim as though the whole school had been wanting to sit with him.
"Sure," Tim answered. From that day on, Tim and the new kid, named Mark, were best friends. About a year later Tim and Mark went to sit down at lunch Tim asked a question that had been on his mind for a while, "Why did you sit with me that first day?"
"Because you looked like you needed it, you looked lonely and scared."
Tim was shocked he had never thought that he was scared, but now that he looked back he realized he had been. He looked at Mark and he saw that behind the weird nose and big ears there was something else, a kind true character and Tim realized that he was seeing Mark for the first time.

***
The day before I heard this we got a new girl in school and on that mutual I decided that I was going to befriend her because she wasn't new. She was a daughter of God and we should love others as He does.

2 comments:

melinda said...

I love you Sari!!!

Natalie said...

I needed that - thanks Sari!!