Henry B. Eyring "O Remember, Remember" Oct. 2007 General Conference:
"I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.
More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened."
So here we go, (only a year and a half after the suggestion was made...) documenting the hand of God in our lives. I am excited to take the time to recognize and remember it. This should be a pretty wild ride....
Today's miracle came in the form of a visit to the orthodontist in Salt Lake City. Shawnie, after YEARS of anticipation, was fitted with a palate expander. As we went in, she told me she had butterflies in her tummy. She had every reason to. It was a life-changing moment. It took an awful lot of pushing and prying and crying to get it in, but she held really still and was INCREDIBLE! In fact, the orthodontist said she was one of the best patients he'd ever had for that procedure. (Yes, this is the same Shawnie who comes completely unglued over minuscule things and can't gain control for long periods of time.) Wonderful! I am so proud of her. Now she is having a little bit of trouble eating, speaking, swallowing, breathing, etc....ha ha, but she will be blessed and things will continue to work out. It's amazing how they always do.
7 comments:
Thanks for sharing this. Makes me want to try this out for myself.
Way to Go Shawnie!!! I sure hope everything will get much easier for you soon or that you will continue to be blessed with the strength to pull you through it. Love you guys. (((hugs)))
I am SO proud of you Melanie for GETTING A BLOG GOING!! But I'm even more proud of Shawnie! Way to go Sistah!! Skiing, and now this?! You really are tougher than me! M, what a good outlook you have. I'm so glad we've gotten back in touch! I'll be looking forward to reading up on you more and more! <3
First Facebook, now blogging, I heard you even read Twilight...see you're not so old after all :o) Look forward to keeping up to date with your family. Love ya!!
I would like to echo what everyone else has said... First of the miracle with Shawnie! Yeah! Tell Shawnie I have to go and get all my braces brackets replaced and I am not going to be able to talk or eat either for a while! And tell her I was supposed to do it today and wimped out and rescheduled so she is tougher than me.
The other miracle: You have a blog! I am really excited for this. I was glad to be able to read this... I needed it today!
I'm so excited for your blog! And especially to see the miracles in your life. Maybe you have inspired me to do the same.
Way to go, Shawnie! You will make it through this!
By the way, Tucker wants to see pictures of Sari and Shawnie on your blog. I think I am a bad influence- he likes to check blogs now to look at the pictures of his cousins and friends.
I have to figure out how to post pictures, first. One step at a time, I tell myself... This was HUGE for me to do without any help. I am so proud of me! (In a humble sort of way...)
Post a Comment