Wednesday, August 17, 2011

foster care

On August 6 we began our first trial run at foster care. Meet Eric (4) and Lucas (3). Absolutely. the. cutest. boys. ever. They were brought to us on Saturday from a family that they have been living with for almost a year who needed some 'respite' time for 8 days. Saturday was spent getting to know each other and having fun. We were also babysitting our neighbor friend Charlie so that evening we loaded up into 2 cars (we couldn't fit in one!!) and drove to the park for a picnic. After the picnic we walked through our local zoo where the boys adored the "kapoopie monkeys" as Charlie put it (over and over and over between fits of hysterical laughter!) They spent about 30 minutes and all our spare change feeding the ducks through the fence. The ducks would seriously stick their beaks right through the fence and nibble the bites right out of their fingers. They laughed and laughed and did it over and over.







Totally funny Sunday moment:
Me: Eric, what did you learn about in Primary today?
Eric: I don't remember, you have to ask my teacher, she knows!




Monday was definitely what you would call a Monday. Eric wet the bed. BIG. Shawnie reached a new stage of womanhood for the first time. (Boo!) The dishwasher flooded all over the kitchen floor. Luke was yelling from the bathroom "Wipe me!!" Sari was frantically practicing for an audition she had to be at. Keith was laying on the floor trying to fix the dishwasher while I was trying to fix breakfast for the whole crew. Eric's oatmeal spilled all over the floor.
All I wanted was a shower. I rushed in before Keith and Sari left. I thought of Sister Hinkley's quote (that I LOVE) "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." Then I laughed. Then I cried. Then I laughed. And thought to myself, "What in the world are we doing???"





Well, we made it through Monday, and even made it to lunch with some old friends in spite of Sari's audition running two hours longer than expected, Lukey wetting his pants, and having to have a good friend come and sit at my house during the boy's nap so that we could be gone.



On Tuesday, I got smart. I got up extra early to shower. I fixed pancakes for breakfast, showered Shawnie and bathed the boys. (By the end there was poop floating everywhere in the tub and I was trying really hard to hold myself together-what's the point of bathing in poo water??) When I finished all that, I smiled with accomplishment and looked at the clock. 10:30. SERIOUSLY? How does Steph ALWAYS make it over to mom's before 8:00? I turned around, the kitchen was still a complete mess, there was poop in the tub and all over the bath toys, and there were two boys looking at me with bright eyes wanting me to play trains with them. So we went to the park for a picnic for lunch and read books and made butterflies and smiled and laughed and life was good.



Wednesday I had everyone ready by 9:30, and I'm sorry to say, that's the earliest we made it happen all week. But we had so much fun! It's funny how different life is with little kids. On Saturday, we were all out sitting by the little pool while they played and Keith said, "We would never be just sitting here relaxing if these boys weren't here." And it was true! As crazy as it seemed during different moments of the week, we spent so much quality time together doing things we never would have taken the time to do otherwise.


These boys really blessed our lives in a very life-changing way! Shawnie sobbed when their foster parents came to pick them up to take them home and for the last week we've been talking non-stop about Eric this and Lukey that. We are praying to have them back, for keeps. Their parents gave up their rights a couple of years ago, and they have been in 3 different homes since then. This foster family is really wishy-washy about the 'forever' aspect and is being required to make up their minds shortly. If they choose not to keep them we will be next in line, and with help and prayers from family and friends, we'd try so hard to make these boys feel loved every minute of the rest of their lives. If that is the case, then our time with foster care would be pretty much finished as it starts. If they stay with their current foster family to be adopted, then we'll be able to interact with other kids and other families. It's absolutely amazing to see the Lords hand in our life through this process.

2 comments:

About Us said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! You need them and they need you! I hope it all works out for everyone! They are a perfect fit! How old are they? I want to hear more....

me said...

I laughed... and cried. It almost felt like I was reading the story of my own life.

I hope hope hope Eric and Luke end up exactly where they need to be and I really HOPE HOPE HOPE that is with you. Just what our family needs is more little boys!